Friday, March 20, 2009

Public Displays

Telling Tall Tales on Flickr © Kenny Maths

It's such an irony how sometimes I'd rather sit next to a total stranger on a bus than someone I know just a little but haven't spoken to in a long time. Despite the invasion of personal space by a complete unknown (you get over these things when you take public transport regularly anyway), I'm more comfortable sitting in silence than working up the effort to converse. It's a gradual loss of social skill and interest in other people's lives. I can't even take the time out to make small talk and find out how things are going.
-----

Crying in public is strange. One moment I am shamelessly weeping away like an emotional exhibitionist, without a care that anyone's watching. The next day, you feel like an idiot that you appeared silly and weak. I don't like belittling the act of crying. I don't like giving the impression that when I cry, it doesn't mean anything.

For one thing, it sure loses its leverage in letting someone know the gravity of the situation.

The whole method dancing - being yelled at to cry so you can emote on stage - has been a wacky ride. Not always effective, but interesting all the same. I didn't detest it, but once is enough.

No comments: