Sunday, October 9, 2011

As I see some (gorgeous) friends turning 24, I suddenly find myself freaking out about reaching the mid 20s. Age is just a number. And that explains precisely why I still feel like the same noob teenager after all these years.

Thing is, I don't feel like I've become the person I expected to be by the time I hit this age. I am not my own idea of a 20+ person. I guess I expected to be less pampered, to be in a serious relationship, ready to move out, paying my own bills and being more adult. The irony is that I'm too comfortable to do all those things, yet I don't want to get left behind as the only old kid around.

On the other hand, as one who should count their blessings for being able to live such a spoilt and comfortable life even at such an age, I shall aim for more realistic goals. Becoming more 'grown-up' isn't about adopting a more serious and boring attitude. It's about taking more responsibilities cheerfully while staying exactly who you are, even if it's weird like Zooey Deschanel in New Girl. It's about no longer expecting life to be easy and smooth sailing but still staying optimistic that things will work out.

So as the numbers get bigger and our commitments heavier, we should balance it out by getting wackier. Heh.

No comments: