Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sweep

Whenever I'm home, I figure I should pitch in with the house chores more since I only contribute about 4 times a year. Today, I've washed and hung the clothes to dry, cleared the yard of the scattering of poop bombs and swept the yard.

As I was sweeping the floor with the old traditional rattan broom, it struck me how much taller I am now since the last time I used it, probably a decade ago. Felt like the Hunchback of Notredame, bending over. The sideways sweeping motion reminded me suddenly of back in primary school when we had class duty rosters. Every week, someone was in charge of sweeping the floors, emptying the bins, cleaning the blackboard or wiping the windowpanes. I always tried to wrangle the bin-emptying task since it was minimal effort.

Back to sweeping: I remember how we had Kemahiran Hidup or Home Economics teaching us the best angle to hold a broom and how to use a dustpan. Except it's so much more difficult now when I'm bent double to reach the broom. Was our old maid really that short?

After today's efforts which continue to ruin my neck, I am very grateful to Benjamin Franklin for discovering electricity. It was him, right?

No comments: