Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Right Perspective

It is a well-known fact that I am a very loud and obnoxious complainer. As I get older, I seem to be getting more emotional and easily stressed out. Sometimes I am so pissed off that I get a tension headache on one side of my neck and my face is so black on the train that I can see people staring at me with concern.

It is therefore very humbling to think about the things that I have taken for granted in life. Like yesterday, I stepped off the bus while fuming on the way to BSF and saw a blind man at the bus stop. Immediately I wondered, how is he to know when the bus he wants has arrived? I really felt so sad suddenly imagining how hard life must be for him. And I felt ashamed. For awhile. And then thoughts of school came back.

Today, as I laughed at another 'Kids Say The Darndest Things' moment from Jaydon, I recalled how just a few years ago, we had despaired over ever having a proper relationship with him. When Jaydon was younger and diagnosed as mildly autistic, it was with resignation and disappointment when we tried to talk to him but got ignored or rejected. I used to compare him with other kids and feel sad that we may never get to 'ooh' and 'aah' at things he did and said. Or share jokes and play proper games with him.

Today, that seems like a lifetime ago. I even take for granted that he is normal now and bully him as I did my sisters. And that really is what he is, normal now. So much to be grateful for in life, if we only looked through the right lenses.

No comments: