Saturday, June 18, 2011

Jump Into A Puddle Book

I think that the best part about getting old is reminiscing about the good old days. That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you remember the fun times in childhood, the memories that have been glossed over and which now are looked back upon fondly with your gold-tinted glasses (yeah I made up that phrase). I'm just saying that things you didn't appreciate in the past suddenly become so special now that you're older and they're nowhere to be found again.

Was bonding over this with my sister and cousin. We were trying really hard to recall all the old computer games we used to obsess over. Looking at Jaydon today who's addicted to Angry Birds, we felt that the games we used to play seemed more wholesome and meaningful. I remember how Adelia used to be just as clingy as Jaydon. She used to pester me to accompany her to watch things like Pocahontas, Beauty & The Beast and especially The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe which I happened to hate very much. I was also always forced (well, I probably gave in very easily considering I'm a pushover) to play The Lion King game packs with her, or try out her Lode Runner levels she created. And in the mornings we were forced to watch Madeleine or Dora The Explorer because she was ruler of the television.

It's like having flashbacks, the kind you see in movies where the actor gets flashes of images running through his mind. And here I thought movies were always fictitious, just artistic representations of real life occurrences. I literally am having flashes of pictures appearing in my head but I can't grasp onto it. It's the same way I wake up from an awesome dream and it's so vivid. I go to the loo and vow to remember it again when I next wake up so I can go through it and dissect it and marvel at the wonderful phenomenon called dreaming. But the next time I wake up, all that's left are bits and pieces.

I digress.

So far, by a monstrous combined effort, I've managed to collect these computer game/show titles from my memory:

Puddle Books - Yolanda Yellsalot, Baxter's Birthday, My Dog Harris, Fuzzooly Family (This first series was a real pain in the ass to track down)
Putt Putt & Fatty Bear - Activity Pack, Putt-putt Goes To The Moon, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise
Arthur & D.W - Arthur's Reading Race
Barbie Fashion Designer
Where On Earth/In Time/In The World Is Carmen Sandiego

The more I dig up, the longer the list gets. It's virtually uncountable. Hard to conceive how much media I was exposed to as a child. And it's such an amazing feeling to relive these experiences which were such a huge part of my growing up.

No comments: