Thursday, December 29, 2011

 Turning 24 in a few days!

Last night, I had my fake birthday celebration with the high school friends. The food at Opus was great, though dinner was punctuated with random cries of '24, Ale, 24! So old!'. I threatened to kill anybody who sang '24th' during the birthday song. Once upon a time, we might have all headed out after dinner for drinks or dancing, but as befitting the approach of the mid twenties, we ended at 10pm. A bunch of us went to Coffee Bean, not even to drink coffee, but to have hot chocolate and peach tea because we worried we wouldn't be able to sleep.

I hesitate to state that life is stable, since we all know that change is the only constant in life. I think many people strive and work hard in life towards this vague goal of achieving happiness and a level of financial, social or marital stability in life. My beliefs have taught me that there's no such thing, so I dare not claim this stage in my life as a milestone of finally having achieved security. But I will say that I've matured in some ways. It probably crept up on me. I still feel and react the same way to most things as I did, say 6 years ago? But it's the little things that make the difference, a little less anxiety, a little less insecurity, a little less worry.

If I did make birthday wishes, they would probably be along the lines of getting more serious about God, getting more comfortable in my own skin, loving more, bitching less, and just learning to let things go when there's no purpose holding on to them.

May 2012 be another level up in the game of life.

No comments: