Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Things We Take For Granted

Sometimes I think about which is worse, losing your hearing or your sight, and sight usually trumps hearing. Ask anyone and they can all probably imagine how horrible it would be not to be able to see anything again. Even I used to think I was already pretty sympathetic to the plight of the blind. But no one really knows knows until they've experienced it.

No, I haven't lost my sight, unless you count severe myopia. But my recent scare with glaucoma has made me appreciate what I still have. All I did today was a simple pupil dilatation to run some eye tests. Everything became incredibly bright and as hard as I tried, I could not focus my eyes on anything close to me. I took out my phone to text but found that I could only make out the words based on their vague shapes. For once in my life, I was happy about the size 28 font I cannot change on my Nokia.

It was a 2 hour wait to see the ophthalmologist so halfway through, I thought, 'Oh right, I can catch up on my reading!' before I remembered it was impossible to read. And when the receptionist called my name to fill up more documents, I walked up with my pen ready only to realize I couldn't even see the form clearly. After that I went to the washroom. I was going to check my reflection in the mirror as always when to my dismay, I was unable to make out my own face sharply.

Even with the glaucoma, on a scale of 1-10 of medical tragedies, it's maybe a 2? Yet you suddenly realize how much you stand to lose and just how much you already have. Being able to see this screen is already such a blessing. Every day is something to be thankful for and another experience to learn from.

My final personal struggle is not being able to wear contact lenses or do Lasik surgery ever. It is the vainest and most superficial worry of all but I've been wearing lenses for almost 10 years. I've no idea how to look good in glasses. Somehow or other, I will suck it up and make it work.

No comments: