Sunday, May 8, 2011

Last Sunday, I went to Yishun Stadium to experience an election rally. I listened to the Workers' Party member rah rah-ing the crowds and I was really amazed by the thousands of people who turned up. People of all ages were there, from little kids together with their parents and old couples with foldable stools and picnic mats, prepping as though to enjoy a long night on the field. Standing there, you realize you're really part of history unfolding, that this is bigger than just you, your social circle or your community, this is nation scale.

It's not like I'm even voting. If you asked me to attend something like this for Malaysia's General Election, I probably couldn't be more apathetic about it. Similarly, despite this being the first rally I've attended (which makes sense since I've only been here about 5 years), most of my Singaporean friends have never attended one either. This mild growing of political awareness probably coincides with coming of age to vote. Maybe from here forth I'll be a lot more interested in political affairs, both in Singapore and Malaysia. Who knows? It is refreshing to be discussing an issue more worldly than the usual affairs that plaque the life of a dental student.

-----
On a totally separate issue, I've been trying to figure out how California Fitness has been getting my phone number to offer me these free membership trials. At first I genuinely thought someone had recommended me because I was told so and so (real names) had put my name on a list. I finally checked it out and those people say they never did it.

So during one of my moments of reflection in the shower, I thought of Facebook. From past experiences, these salespeople or advertising companies can easily look up your information online and find out your details or who you're related to. Just like some friends who won tickets from a radio station to find out the radio station knows where they study and who they're attached to.

It's still harmless when nothing criminal happens to you. It's just scary and sobering how many strangers out there know so much about you. Usually I figure that it's just a 'friend of a friend' so we're all friends anyway, 3 degrees of connections won't hurt. Except you never know when what you put up will come back to haunt you.

No comments: