Sunday, May 29, 2011

Disney Facade


Many of us grew up on Disney movies, believing the world was a magical place, that good always triumphs over evil and the beautiful princess always meets her prince charming and lives happily ever after.

To my horror, I found out later on in my teens that some of the stories the animations were based upon had been tweaked out of their unhappy endings. Like Quasimodo actually died, and prolly the Little Mermaid as well, I can't recall completely. Basically, the original stories were very depressing and all Disney did was take a happy spin on the premise and characters.

The only time Disney decided to stick to the story was in Pocahontas, when in Part 2 (the unreleased movie, only in DVD) she met and married John Rolfe. I still remember my complete confusion and shock. It was like my world came crashing down. Was this even possible? How could she forget John Smith? How can a person have loved two guys? What happened to all that romantic running in the forest, all the odds that were beaten to be together, overcoming the racial and cultural differences? Pocahontas 2 felt so sacrilegious to me.

Of course, over time, I got over it. Pocahontas was a woman beyond her times.

No comments: