Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let's Deconstruct

So I'm back in Singapore again and I've sorted out my mess of a wardrobe. Realize that my clothes are spreading like weeds, infiltrating all the cupboards. Am sneakily getting rid of other people's presumed unwanted clothes and replacing the space with mine. To be fair, I just gave away a whole bag full of clothes as well. Now I've got to list down all my upcoming events and think of what to wear for them. Way to kill time these hols.

Back in KL, the carpenters are coming in to tear down our old bedroom cupboards and put in new more grown up looking furniture. Yesterday, Mom and I bought a mobile clothes rack to put all the hanging clothes on. Since Dad wasn't around, we decided to get a cheap easily assembled one from a hardware shop instead of one from Ikea with all the screws and nuts and bolts. Which probably explains why the rack started leaning like the Leaning Tower of Pisa within half an hour.

Today, I left Adelia to pick up the dog poop, wash the clothes and open the door for the carpenters as I got into a cab headed for the airport. Feel a bit guilty for abandoning Fungus now. It got me thinking once again that living in 2 places like this has spared me the hassle of enduring renovations. Each time I fly back to the other house, something new has been done, some work has been completed and I did not have to suffer through the construction.

Construction is so inconvenient because you have to make adjustments to your routine. You've to stop using the room, deal with the dust and noise, etc. Feel a little evil but I remember feeling so lucky I didn't have to be around for the 3 months of termite extermination where the living room looked like crap.

Likewise, I've gone back to KL in the past to discover newly cleaned backyards, newly arranged wardrobes, newly replaced leather couches, newly placed flooring and I'm guessing when I'm back the next week, newly installed furniture.

I feel relieved avoiding all that but I also feel like I'm not part of the hardship and therefore not part of history being made.

No comments: