Friday, August 8, 2008

Ahhh. Home sweet home (at YCK).

By the way, hello everybody. If you see someone who has a sunburnt face with the light imprint of a butterfly spanning her entire face, that would be me. Today was Rag Day, and it was pretty exciting. Dentistry totally pulled off what they came to do, and it's really awesome, what with making our float and rehearsing our item in only 2 weeks with 42 people. It's hard to imagine that it's only been a week and a half, because it feels like I've been seeing these people forever. But they're still new, so the next year should be pretty fun.

The halls floats are mind bogglingly beautiful. So beautiful they should be in a museum. Or in a Disneyland Parade. Where do these people get such talents and skills? Bing Wen was saying what a shame that Rag Day is only limited to NUS compounds, depriving the public of viewing such painstakingly created things. C'mon, the floats move, bounce around and shoot steam!

Finally, the crazy orientation period is over. Last night was pretty awful, because we slept at level 5 of SOC. The room, which initially seemed so warm, suddenly became cold as the tiled floor sucked the warmth out of me. Every angle hurts when you sleep without any soft layers, directly on the floor. I kept waking up, so I slept maybe 2 & 1/2 hours?

It will be very weird seeing everybody in a professional light from now, and out of our shorts and T shirts. So far, we've had our Dean's Welcome Talk and yesterday, the Welcome Tea where we were introduced to as much of the dental community who were interested in coming, as well as introduced ourselves in pairs to the audience. I think everyone had a good time, especially with all the silly 'interesting thing about me' statements we all made.

I've also gotten to know my lineage - Boon, Sarah, Marianne, Elizabeth, and that's as far as I got. Apparently the rest of our line seniors are not very active. But I did take a look at the yearbook and memorized a few more up our chain in the genealogy page. Pretty cool. AND ARGH, MY NUH PICTURE/YEAR BOOK PICTURE IS SO UGLY!

I'm nervous about lab partners. I hope we complement each other, as it is for the next four years. And I'm more and more nervous that my hands tremble. Ruth is such a whiz at wire bending, wth!

No comments: