Friday, July 18, 2008

Judge Not

It is so interesting to find out something new about someone you know, especially someone you think you know very well. When you see the person in a different environment or interacting with a different person, you tend to suddenly see them in a new light. It's humbling because the things you discover make you realize how one dimensional your view of them was. I've found out things about people that have made me embarassed of my initial impression of them. I've seen new sides of people that suddenly made me in awe and more than a little shy around them. Sometimes they reveal to you a skill or a spectacular side of their personality you never noticed before.

It's a reminder to myself to withhold judgment on people I've just met. I've found that over time and in different settings, I've had to take back the thoughts I've had about some people because they turned out to be pretty different. In a good way.

It's in a way scary. It really makes you wonder how many wonderful people you've missed out on just because you dismissed them too quickly.

1 comment:

Jared said...

That's very true.

I'm quite guilty of judging too early. But that's because I feel I'm often judged too early as well.

I think that in general, for ourselves and for others, we underestimate the capacity and potential we have been given. People could be completely unspectacular now, but exceed anything you ever thought you could accomplish a couple of years down the road.

But ah well. Life is like that.