Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Of Backrubs & Footrubs

Foot Massage on Flickr by Myxi

I'm the typical Asian who does not speak up for herself. I hesitate to complain even when I find a bug in my food, a typo in my name in a certificate, or stains in a book I lent to a friend. When the Tiramisu I made that I was saving in the fridge disappeared and I found the empty cup in the sink, I didn't bother to call the person out even though I was pretty mad about it.

Likewise, when I get a massage, I never voice my complaints even when the masseuse is using too much or too little force. This has been very detrimental to my health, literally. The anticipation of getting a massage never dies off (probably from the memory of some very awesome massages in the past) but the anticipation usually highly, highly overestimates the actual experience.

I've endured more than one back rub where my entire body is so tense just trying to withstand the pain because the masseuse used so much pressure. I've found myself sweating buckets just from clenching my muscles so that I could better stand the agony. On the other hand, I've had such gentle massages that I came out feeling like little kittens walked over my back. Either way I'm too reluctant to speak up because I like different pressures at different areas and asking them to change usually means some parts always suffer from too much or lack of attention.

I don't know why I put myself through such torture. I don't quite think it serves the purpose when the lights come on and I walk out feeling more stiff and sore than when I walked in. The last foot reflexology shop I sat in, the only relief I felt was the intense lightness when she finally stopped murdering my foot.

I think rubs are only meant for non skinny people.

No comments: