Thursday, November 25, 2010

Flashback

ZOMG. I am rewatching the Chipmunk Adventure for the 2nd time in a week. Haha!

Was reminiscing the good oldies with Ruthie and realized how it's always the songs that give me the strongest connection to the show. I don't know who to thank for this but I do remember always having soundtracks of the shows and memorizing all the songs to all the Disney shows. Playing them over and over again and singing along with my sisters. Watching the same old tapes on the VCR again and again, lying on the mattress on the floor.

I had such a wonderful childhood.

It's also so interesting how everyone grew up with such different childhood shows, and how some people watched the same ones while others didn't. Wonder if it's a culture thing or a generational thing. Or just the amount of exposure you get, considering how most of our awesome tapes were bought by my parents for sure. I have them to thank for all my beloved old cartoons.

And how I miss LDs! Going to the LD shop and browsing the huge huge plastic covers, smelling the plastic, and renting the latest movie out. Bringing it home, taking out the large disc and holding it just that way before putting it in. There was never the problem of quality unlike the pirated VCDs we also bought.

And music cassettes! My first Britney Spears' album was a cassette! It had an A side and a B side, with Baby One More Time on side A and Email My Heart on side B. Ruth just reminded me rewinding - oh goodness, rewinding, what an ancient notion! I could never figure out which side had to face out to play the side. And I still remember our old gray stereo with the transparent hinge opening door for the cassette.

How blessed I was and I never even realized it. How amazing that this is the kind of warmth and tenderness one can feel towards their past, all thanks to loving and amazing parents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Your childhood seems fun, and fulfilling. But I didn't know that Baby One More Time was so old, it had cassette tapes to begin with.