Sunday, November 14, 2010

Internet Identity

Ever feel like some people are much easier to talk to online than in person?

I mean, it's a common issue, always appearing in columns, about how the modern generation has lost the art of conversation. Of how people feel less inhibited online, and their true (?) personality comes on. People sound funnier, have sharper wit, have more time to think about replies and can say things they normally wouldn't dare to try face to face.

However, I think that a big factor is your own imagination, not so much the actual person you're talking to. Behind the screen, you're just talking to a stream of words. Without a face or a voice, without intonation or expression, those words could come from anybody. It's easy to visualize and superimpose your own fantasy onto the person you're talking to. If you're lonely enough, every sentence can sound like a flirtatious line. Everything they say could have a double meaning. Anyone can feel close to someone they're chatting to, just by (mis)interpreting things the way they like it.

So kids, the Internet is a dangerous place.

-----
I have 3 sets of different sized rubber pieces for my earphones. I lost one of the M sized pair. While opening the case to exchange it for the S sized pair, I lost an S sized earpiece. So now I only have L sized ones. Annoying.

No comments: