Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chinese Class

I actually love attending Chinese Class. The reason is probably because it doubles as a catch-up session for Kari Powder, Quah Kari, Ah Pui and I. (I'm sorry guys, I felt like calling you that)

After weeks of treating the lesson like our very own mamak session, our teacher (Oops, I don't even know her name buahaha) encouraged us to speak Mandarin. Since we never do things half heartedly, we took to the task like mosquitoes to bloody flesh.

My brain now aches from trying to speak for 2 hours straight. She was so happy with our efforts that she now wants to play a game. She's going to fine us 10sen for every English word we use, starting next week. This so reminds me of when Lian-ee tried to fine us money for speaking bad English. Ended up with her making all the mistakes. I wonder what happened to the fund we collected.

By the middle of the lesson, we were all feeling pretty smug at our unexpected ability to converse fluently (well, we didn't have to resort to much sign language). In the spirit of challenge, we suggested a dialogue/Q&A/discussion session with the other class, who's a year ahead. Hohoho. That's going to happen next week. By the way, I suggested she fine the other class 20sen, since they've been at this longer haha.

It is majorly tiring to think in another language. But I can see how you don't have to work hard at it anymore after awhile, at least when it comes to key phrases you're used to. It's the vocab that's killing me right now. My temples are throbbing.

-----

I've been eating about 5 times a day. Probably explains the tummy discomfort.

Kari Powder, we know why you didn't come tonight. You probably reasoned to yourself you had to rest early for college tomorrow. Hello, class ends at 10!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

glad u r having fun in mandarin classes! somehow i stopped attending mandarin classes at kumon... lack of motivation... excuses excuses..