Friday, April 25, 2008

She is But Woman

Mom & Dad in Australia

Mom has always been my solid rock. Whenever I'm sinking, relief and calm washes over me when I remember I have her as my lifesaver.

Golo keeps telling me how she loves my mother's pearls of wisdom. I could really compile all her take-home messages into a book, because there have been countless. Most of which have embedded into my heart. I remind myself of her words when I'm grasping for something to hold on to. Even when I think she's wrong, most of the time I'm proven she's right.

The time she felt most real to me was when I was struggling with worries, maybe last year. For the first time, she really felt the same thing I was going through. She had just messed up a huge presentation for her company and couldn't stop the flow of thoughts demoralizing her. It's the problem where just remembering the horrifying incident feels like a punch in the chest. And just knowing that she was also working hard at keeping defeating thoughts at bay while I was doing the same felt so comforting.

That was when I realized (not for the first time) that my mother isn't superwoman. Although I rely so much on her being strong, confident, wise, career-minded, yet still a fabulous homemaker, I never felt closer to her than at that moment.

She's commuting between Singapore & Malaysia for the next few months. She hates being away from home. But the best part of traveling, is knowing that someone is waiting for you when you get there.

Happy Birthday Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.