Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Getting Lost

My uni-mate and friend Tallan says she has poor powers of people recognition, especially when it comes to Chinese guys. It's true. Today she thought of putting these 2 guys together so she could play spot the difference, hoping to finally distinguish Amos & Ian (?). Oops, only 47 people and I can't even remember all their names.

I, on the other hand, have poor powers of orientation and direction. Anastasya told me that she can go to a place once and remember the route. I can go to a place everyday and not remember the first turning out. Fortunately, forced repetition has imprinted the driving route to uni in my mind. Although in the first week, I'd still make wrong turnings and wild last minute lane switches because it suddenly looked wrong (yet I am alive today, thank God).

For example, this morning, I decided I'd pick Hwei Jene up, who carpools with me to uni. All along, I've been sending her home coming from a downhill direction, so her house is on the left. Today, to pick her up, I found myself waiting outside the wrong house. I'd forgotten what it looked like because I came from the opposite direction instead. I swear that car looked like her mom's!

Even now, everytime I step out of Orchard or Somerset MRT, I actually don't know where I'm going. So I usually make large detours and cross the road several times to get to the building I want. I heave a huge sigh of relief when I make it to the right place. The only thing that's changed is that I make the detours on my own, I no longer ask people silly questions for the umpteenth time haha.

I know now that I have a very narrow peripheral vision. I register just my immediate surroundings. Zero natural connection of the roads in my head. I truly can't take in the bigger picture or sense the general direction I am heading in. I need GPS.

-----

So much for Go Green. I save my trash to recycle in those pretty coloured bins and they go get rid of them. Do you want my recyclables or not??

No comments: