Saturday, May 1, 2010

When we went to Germany, my (immediate) family bought a cuckoo clock and my relatives (my S'pore family) bought a cuckoo clock. The parents of the 2 families were very competitive (i.e. sister vs sister) over whose cuckoo clock was the better deal. My family's was cheaper, a fact they were pleased of because they decided to take a longer stroll to a less popular cuckoo clock shop. My aunt and uncle's has more tiny trinkets to its design, something they are proud of and that my dad tries to convince himself he doesn't like.

He does this by saying, 'Hm, actually quite nice ah, got all the little designs. Ours is like the simple kind. But ours is different la, hor?' Then I tell him, ours looks way more elegant. And he says, 'Really? Yeah, hm, actually better right like this. The craftsmanship actually quite good.'

Anyhoo. The final win (as decided by me, the special patron of both homes) is awarded to my family's clock. Ours, as smartly decided, is wound once a week, while theirs is wound once a day. As of right now, family clock shows the time accurately, after careful experimentation of changing the speed of the pendulum by my obsessive Dad for a few months. Relative cuckoo clock has died. Again. At 6 o' clock. And it's now 1:o6pm.

Accuracy of time is surely the deciding factor in this championship.

No comments: