Friday, May 9, 2008

Dream House

Purple Bedroom on Flickr © Groc

My sisters & I got our shared bedroom when I was probably in early primary school. Before, it was an empty storeroom with a BBQ stand. Being young, we chose the most neutral and long lasting colour scheme - baby blue and pale yellow. Sort of copied my aunt's room in Singapore (blue and pink).

Back then, Adelia still slept with my mother, so Aggie & I had our own beds each. Soon Adelia joined the party, and Aggie sacrificed her bed so that Adelia could be 'protected' by Aggie sleeping beside her on the floor. Throughout the years, we did quite a bit of switching around of beds.

I was a jigsaw puzzle fanatic. I framed all my completed puzzles (which Mom bought as rewards for doing well in school - nice jigsaw puzzles were expensive!) and hung them on the walls. If I count now, there're 5 in the bedroom, and more than 15 scattered around the house.

Soon, we got sick of each other. We'd fight and in the midst of our tempers, demand for individual rooms. We'd take turns moving out to the spare bedroom, declaring it as our own. You can imagine the elation when we bought the new house, with 3 floors! We spent countless fun hours designing our bedrooms. I picked purple as my theme, Adelia muted green (very soothing) and Aggie this dark chocolate. Mom was so awesome to get us beds with perfectly matching bedspreads.

In our excitement, we had sleepovers and parties there, relishing the day we could all move in to our own rooms.

The first night in my new bed, I just couldn't sleep. Tossed and turned in discomfort.

Although we're getting more accustomed to the new house, it's still a 'vacation' home, a white elephant. Guess what? The 3 of us are still sleeping in the same bedroom, just like old times. Jigsaws still on the walls, spare mattress still on the floor. Same old same old. My uncle who visited observed, 'No wonder you guys sleep so late. I hear you chatting all night long.'

Ah, good old home sweet home.

P/S: I still love my purple bedroom! It's even got one wall pink, one wall purple, but it's been left undone. Sigh. My unfinished project.

-----

OMG. This is what people with severe health complications must feel like (or a tiny glimpse of it). Withstanding a persistant pain/irritation. My hands are burning and itching like they're on fire. And I keep getting bumps and rashes on my legs and hands. All I can do is go 'ohhhhmmmm' - pretend it's not there and it'll go away. Since I can't be popping 10 antihistamines a day.

No comments: