Wednesday, May 28, 2008

LOL

dancing with faeries on Flickr © dacookieman

Laughing out loud is an exhibitionist, uninhibited act of self-expression. I think it's something you practise until it becomes part of your nature. Even if you're shy, just give it a go and it'll become a habit.

Seriously. I used to think my sister was wacko everytime she was watching TV alone downstairs and I'd hear her laughter - solo - coming up the stairs. Honestly, it sounds a little mad to be laughing on your own. Up until early teenagehood (when I was still less extroverted), I don't ever recall having a rib-tickling moment on my own.

I'd heard Shang talk about laughing aloud at Bizarro comics, Golo chortling at Garfield, and I hear Aggie guffawing away at the telly. So one day, I decided to just give it a shot. I watched a sitcom, and I experimented with chuckling out loud, even though I didn't find it that funny. I read the comics section and giggled a little.

Soon enough, I started laughing at everything - sitcoms, books, movies, weird people around me, lecturers. It becomes some kind of reflex. Finding humour in even not-so-funny things. And even though it seems strange, it does make situations a little cheerier. You may reflect and realize it's totally unhumorous but at the same time, laughing a little (even though forcefully at first) makes it almost entertaining.

Now I think my laugh's gotten a teensy bit too loud. Like I'll realize I'm the only one in the group laughing at that amplitude. I guess there is still such a thing as going overboard.

I can't resist The Hitchhiker's Guide. It's nuts.

-----
I need to start running everyday again. Become Miss Obsesso like once upon a time. My body is the consistency of tofu. And I really CANNOT breathe by the time I reach the top of the steps to the carpark on the hill.

No comments: