Monday, June 9, 2008

My Super Cool Dad

Father's Day is coming up.

The only problem with my Dad is there's nothing to give him, because there's nothing he wants. Like c'mon, last year he asked for a pair of socks, because his old ones were getting hole-y.

He doesn't appreciate cards or sentimental trinkets, like most men. We can't afford gadgets. Once, he said he just wished for a hug everyday. (I think he was kidding.) I remember us joking about making a hugging machine. And the cake cutting thing is SO boring.

I wish I could come up with something really special (to him) because he's such a great Dad.

He's always so concerned about us. Just for example, when I park my car under the tree, it tends to get sandwiched between two other cars, one being our neighbour's. The first time it happened, he kept asking and asking if I was sure I could get out. In the end, he reparked it at an angle for me so I could leave in the morning.

The 2nd time, he asked and asked, but I just said, 'Aiya, tomorrow only la, sure can wan.' Lo and behold when I was about to leave at almost 7 am, my Dad woke up to help remove the other car so I could get out easily. It's like he just cannot sleep at night thinking about this 'undone' thing on his to do list.

When I take the train to uni, I usually park my car near the train station. First he offered to drive me at 6 am, and I accepted. Then he said, 'Come to think of it, I'll be making two trips back & forth and wasting petrol. Just go yourself la.' No problem for me. Lo and behold once again, at 6 am the next morning, who else got up but Dad, to drive me.

I can just read his mind, how unsettled he is by our 'inadequacies'. Like he has to make sure we're alright. I guess it's actually bad, cos' he thinks we're lousy drivers and lousy everything else, hahaha, but I see it as genuine care. He buys all our meals, does housework, takes care of the pets, fixes things, and so much more.

Dad rocks. So, any suggestions for Father's Day, anyone?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey =) Was blog-hopping and then happened to drop by your blog. A dad like yours certainly deserves an accolade ;)

Maybe you can write him a letter to show your appreciation? I know it's old fashioned, but it's not everyday you tell your parents WHY you love them, what you've learnt from them, and how much they have impacted your life.

OR maybe you can compile pics of your dad and you together and then stick them on an A4 photo frame together with descriptions of your feelings on how he's such a great dad. It's good to just express your love to your dad and assure him how important he is in your life. =)

Just some thoughts.

Take care, and have a blessed Father's Day ahead! :D

aFLY said...

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I think Father's Day is always taking a backseat to Mother's Day, not that Moms don't deserve it too.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Giving daddy a treat would be cool... i got my dad a new watch as he's using a watch that he bought on the day i was born... still going strong... casio.. it's very reliable

Anonymous said...

wonderful dad that is! dad's are always like that I guess. more to gestures, less to words. hope i can be such a dad one day too aha :P

i dunno, maybe a dinner treat wud be nice, and paid by all three sisters, with the tai kar cher forking out the biggest portion? aha

Anonymous said...

hmmm i correct what I said, I don't wanna be a silent dad who has too little words. yeah. haha.