Saturday, June 14, 2008

Teeny Weeny Toddlers

Kids are so fascinating. Just got back from Alexis' 1 month old celebration (my cousin Jun's newborn) and it was quite an experience. First of all, it was interesting to see how all the guests were young couples, either newly married, with young kids or on the verge of marriage. How strange to be at that stage one day, making jokes over what your kids say or do over beer (like I overheard the Dads doing). I asked Mom if she ever had lots of friends like that, and we guessed she probably didn't since she moved from Penang to KL to start a new life here before having me. Right now, most of her colleague friends are way younger as well.

Alexis' jelly cake. Yes, the bottle's made of jelly too.

Sorry. Why are kids fascinating? They say either the most inane or the most profound things. They're so funny they should star in their own sitcoms.

My other cousin's 2 sons, Dalton and Dave are both so mata sepet. Dalton is a mobster through and through. The big taiko kept threatening to kill anyone who offended him in any way, like the waiter who said 'Thank you' back instead of 'Welcome'. And he has his own fake cell phone which he offered, 'I'll give you a missed call!'

Then there was Rachel in the cheongsam and her brother Sam who looks so angmoh. Rachel was so cute. She was afraid of Patrick, the one eyed Pekingese, so when she found the cane, she kept asking me if she could 'pek pek' (whip) the dog. When her Mom said canes were to whack kids, she asked, 'But can ALSO 'pek pek' the dog, right? Both, right?' And she pooped in her Pampers in front of me while standing. -.-' Literally, she said, 'I'm 'poot poot-ing, wait.' So I said, 'Okay, tell me when you're finished.'

My family and I sat on the couch most of the time and we noticed one phenomenon. All kids gravitate towards the tissue box. They take out one tissue and then they pretend to blow their noses. Rachel kept giving me tissues for me to blow my nose as well, which I complied.

And there was this other child. He asked, 'Why does the dog have only one eye?' And my cousin Jun said, 'Oh, Patrick left his eye at home, he forgot to bring it.' The boy said, 'You've got to be kidding me!' Did I mention also that most of these kids speak like foreigners? They have this sing-song-y accented voice, like they came straight out of a kid's TV program.

While we were at the buffet dinner, we decided to ask Sa-ee, who was at 1U, to get Dad a new cell phone for Father's Day. Something user friendly, with a camera, no MP3, no unnecessary functions, big screen, nice keypad and nice looking enough to befit his 'status' (and to match his super ex Porsche glasses =P). Oh, and below Rm1000. So she got him the Nokia 5000. Which looks JUST LIKE MY OWN PHONE WHICH VANISHED! Sooooo sad, a daily reminder of my tragic loss. But without the Music Xpress. Sigh la sigh.
Nokia 5000. Some green version.


My old Nokia 5310. =( I didn't know it came in so many colours.
Dad's new one looks like the dark blue one.

When we present it to Dad tomorrow, we're pretty sure he'll try to give it to either Mom or me. Me, cos' I'm using a sorry excuse of a phone, Mom cos' she's using a sorrier excuse of a phone. (OK la, not that bad haha) But Mom and I have vowed not to accept. Though right now, I'm very tempted. But no, I won't. No. I won't.

No comments: