Sunday, June 8, 2008

Skin & Bones

The number one asked question of my life is probably, 'Did you get thinner?' Either that or my weight is commented on, my bones, my skinniness or if I'm lucky, my slenderness.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, from my immediate family, my relatives, my best friends, my not-so-best friends, my schoolmates, my collegemates, my unimates, teachers, neighbours, salespeople, my mani/pedicurists, seamstresses, flight attendants, any who, how, or when, has at some point in time exclaimed that I'm thin or have gotten thinner. And this has been going on since I was a kid to, oh, just this afternoon. They say it when they've just seen me, they say it when they saw me a month ago, they say it when they haven't seen me in years.

I'm used to it. First I say, I don't know why. Then I say, I still eat a lot. (Like I have to defend myself). Then I follow up with, my mom used to be even thinner than me, and now she's not thin. Exactly the same routine.

What brought me to this topic was just musing over how difficult it is for thin people to hug. Have you seen or experienced 2 skinny people hugging? It's an air hug, basically. You put your arms around each other and DON'T make body contact because it's way too intimate. Why, you'd be feeling each other's ribs! You gently pat each other's backs and that's it.

That's why I much prefer hugging a person with some fats, like my mommy. Where it's a real hug, and you feel warmth. As such, my boyfriend must have substantial body mass. There is no comfort in bones colliding.

Hugging Bunnies on Flickr © Photodreamer

-----
My nails are liquid paper white, top and bottom. So fun. =)

No comments: