Saturday, April 3, 2010

The (Not So) Long Ride Home

Tonight was one of those rare special events that reminded me there's so much more to life. The kind that makes me feel the way I did when I read fiction as a kid and dreamed of traveling, meeting people and having exciting encounters when I grew up. Where it feels like there's so much to see, so much to do and no mundane routine to hold you down. Impactful enough in my too dull for too long life that I'm actually double posting again.

I sat beside a young woman on the plane home. Despite charging out of Arrivals at KLIA LCCT and getting straight onto the Skybus, this same person ended up on the bus beside me, to both our surprises. Then we had a really nice conversation about our careers and seeing Europe and just random topics for the 1 hour plus bus ride to KL Central. It was really cool to find out she's a doctor at KK Hospital. It felt pretty surreal, talking for so long in the dark bus, with the night scenery of KL flashing by. I think the darkness made it seem like we were shrouded in anonymity, so there were less inhibitions.

It's one of those small unexpected but delightful moments, to meet and connect with someone completely new. A pleasant out of the norm incident, that I'd once imagined doing all the time, a childhood desire I'd forgotten all about. Like dreaming of meeting a handsome stranger in a foreign land. It could happen, right?

-----
Coming home to F.R.I.E.N.D.S is really like coming home to friends. It takes being away from home and being lonely away from home to really make you appreciate home.

No comments: