Friday, April 16, 2010

I've never been the sort of person to hold the attention of a crowd. At best, my specialty's in single or double liners. It's only when I've known those people all my life, established a certain reputation as a comedienne or do not feel at all intimidated by them that I am known to speak easily and at length about silly things. Makes me feel good when they laugh (attention seeker!).

Otherwise, I've always mildly envied those charismatic people who seem to make friends with every left and right turn they make. From the time I entered a social environment, I've been dubbed snobby, cold, aloof, arrogant and the list goes on. With conscious effort, I've had the complete reverse commented about me on several occasions, but if I'm not careful I just give out the 'stay away' vibe. It's not that I don't enjoy being with people, but I've just developed a 'be approached instead of approach' attitude in life.

Anyway, I envy those people indeed. Envy and cannot understand, especially when it's my partner. Especially when that same attention to people is no longer shone like a stage light on to me, but on to continuously new and different people. Jealousy? Clinginess? Don't know.

Some people may not be powerfully charismatic, but simply auntie-uncle killers, a highly useful skill nonetheless. Can name quite a few off the top of my head. Would be nice if I had a killer effect on some level of the population. Unfortunately, the only person I've been able to charm thus far is that Malay taxi driver who told me I looked like a pretty Olive Oyl. Hohum.

-----
I told QZ that 'I'm not the sort of person who can go into a room and make friends like BANG BANG BANG'. He replied,'The word you're looking for here is guns ablazing. But BANG BANG BANG is good too'. Lol.

1 comment:

Golo said...

i feel you ale...